How is male infertility diagnosed?
Men can have more than one cause of infertility. Sometimes several tests are required to confirm the exact causes of male infertility.
- General physical examination and medical history. This includes physical examination and examining any inherited conditions, chronic health problems, illnesses, and injuries affecting fertility.
- Semen analysis. Semen analysis is done to diagnose infertility and to know the sperm quality.
If doctors suspect infertility, they may prescribe some of the following tests to zero in on the cause:
- Scrotal ultrasound
- Transrectal ultrasound
- Hormone testing
- Post-ejaculation urinalysis
- Genetic tests
- Testicular biopsy
- Specialized sperm function tests
How is male infertility treated?
Many cases of infertility are not clearly understood. However, even if a cause is not clear, our doctor may be able to recommend treatments or procedures that make conception possible.
If the female partner also has problems conceiving, doctors may recommend testing her. Based on medical history and other tests run by doctors, there can be specific treatments for men, which include:
- Treating infections. in some cases where an infection affects fertility, doctors might prescribe antibiotics to control infection.
- Treatments for sexual intercourse problems. Medicinal and psychological help can resolve the problems encountered by a couple during intercourse, like premature ejaculation.
- Hormone treatments and medications. If the infertility is caused by high or low levels of certain hormones, doctors might prescribe hormone therapy to maintain hormone levels.
- Assisted reproductive technology (ART). ART treatments use extracted sperm either by the partner or by a donor for fertilizing the female partner’s eggs externally. IUI and IVF are the most prevalent ART methods.
*Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a simple procedure in which sperm is inserted directly inside the patient’s uterus, which helps healthy sperm get closer to the egg.
*During IVF, mature eggs are retrieved from ovaries and fertilized by sperm in a laboratory procedure. Then the embryo is transferred to a uterus.
Why choose OMA for Male Infertility?
With increasing cases of male infertility worldwide, it is important to have specialists to treat and assist in pregnancy. If you are looking for a male infertility specialist in Mumbai, book an appointment with OMA IVF right away.